Friday, February 15, 2008

Hindrance To Quitting Smoking: Physical or Psychological

Hindrance To Quitting Smoking: Physical or Psychological
When overcome by the desire to go back to, or continue with
smoking, is it more of a physical thing that is the
hindrance to quitting smoking, or is it more of a
psychological thing that is the hindrance?

It is believed that smoking stimulates the flow of "feel
good" chemicals in the brain including endorphins. It is
also commonly understood by many that tobacco has nicotine
and it is believed to be addicting. Nothing new!

So we all probably understand that there is a physical
component to hinder a person from quitting; more for some
than for others. However, is it really "THE" reason that
people can't seem to quit smoking?

Whenever I share my thoughts about people who are falling
short of the mark, I always include with it; "There is no
condemnation here". Condemnation is not what it is about.
At the same time, it is also true, that we must get real
and be honest because this is no game. With regard to
quitting smoking; yes, there is a physical component but it
is important to acknowledge that people quit smoking all
the time anyway.

In my opinion, overcoming the physical component is not
rocket science. There are many aids and medical assistance
available to help with that. Getting cleaned out may not be
easy for some, but so many people have done it, so it can
be done. Also, one of the characteristics of someone who
has successfully quit smoking is that they are willing to
experience the discomfort of withdrawal in anticipation of
the reward. It is a delaying of satisfaction instead of
getting instant gratification (a level of maturity) in
anticipation of the reward of satisfaction later on (I hope
I didn't loose you here because I know that some people may
be feeling a little offended right now).

Stay with me here! I am interested in helping people in a
bigger way than just providing information about how to
stop smoking by controlling the smoking behavior itself.
This is why my writings will not appeal to everyone; and
that's OK. Not everyone is going to be ready for what I
have to say; and that is OK. You are where you are and I
encourage you to find what suits you based on where you are
at. There are many resources and I encourage you to take a
look at them and find something that will help you right
where you are today.

What I am primarily all about is Personal Development. I am
aware of developmental issues that make it very hard for
many people to quit smoking. I teach things regarding
personal development that are not well understood; even by
most experts. My writings are geared for people who are
ready to take it to the next level and deal with issues at
the "cause" level. If this is not you, then don't feel bad.
It's OK. Personal development is a process and it can't be
forced. But I know there are people who are looking for
something more. If that is you; then please stay with me.

In all of my writings you will hear me teach about these
developmental issues. As I said, it is not for everyone but
if you are ready to take it to the next level of
understanding, then it is for you. Smoking is so much a
part of who a person is that to quit smoking would be like
discontinuing a part of yourself. Consider this.... Many
people who have struggled to stop smoking eventually did.
Why after so many years of struggling where they suddenly
able to just stop smoking?

This is one indication of what I was saying. Is "THE"
hindrance that makes quitting seem so impossible, really
the physical aspect. Possibly for some who have so much
nicotine in there system that the withdrawal process scares
them. But personally, I believe that for the far majority
of people, the physical aspect is not the real hindrance
that makes quitting seem impossible. I think that many
people do believe it is when it isn't because of their
current understanding. What they truly believe is going to
be real to them. Now then; if there is something else that
is the real hindrance that makes quitting seem impossible,
how will they every discover it if they believe it is the
physical that is the real hindrance?

My main purpose with this article, is to get you to
consider the possibility that there may be something more
to quitting smoking than the physical aspect. Are you open
to consider the possibility that smoking may be a part of
who you are and therefore there just may be developmental
issues to consider?


----------------------------------------------------
Frank Andrews is the author of two self-help books. This
developed as the result of being a student of personal
development for over 25 years. Having worked through many
of his own personal struggles, he now provides information
to help others. You can find free quit-smoking information
on his website at: http://www.AnswersToQuitSmoking.com

No comments: